Traditional name for land extending from Glenfield to Beaver County line at Big Sewickley Creek.
A designation that arose during the 1960s when the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania mandated larger school districts. The name is a compromise that harks back to the Quaker roots of one of the pioneer families - the Ways - and the fact that there was at one time a railroad station called Quaker Valley. Quaker Valley station was located at the foot of Academy Avenue on the property of the Way Family.
Citizens of the town met to consider a name for their town in 1840, choosing the name Sewickleyville over Fifetown, Contention, Devilís Race Track and Dogtown. The town was incorporated as Sewickley in 1853.
History records a tribe of Indians called Assiwikales. Popular version is that Seweekly is an Indian name for the sap of the maple trees that were abundant in the rich virgin forest - thus, Sweetwater.
Prepared by Sewickley Valley Historical Society, 2001
The mission of the Sewickley Valley Historical Society is to promote interest in and to record, collect, preserve, and document the history of the Sewickley Valley.
Click to learn more about our activities...
Are you interested in the history of Sewickley, the greater Pittsburgh region, or Western Pennsylvania? Join the Sewickley Valley Historical Society to both learn more about local history and help preserve it for future generations.
Click to learn more about joining us...
Click to learn more about this and more gifts from the Sewickley Valley Historical Society...